Friday, September 26, 2008

grrrls 3

L7 - Influential, hard case, and gained a degree of popularity with a major label deal and tough image. I've listened to a fair bit of L7 but they don't quite do it for me. Whereas some bands seem to be on a mission, L7 are the brawlers of the genre, IMO.

They tend to lapse into the one beat, risking tedium, ponderous and unvarying. Bitter Wine off 'Triple Platinum' is one of my favourites.

Still, I'm listening to Donita Sparks's and the Stellar Moments' Transmiticate and it's growing on me.

SLEATER-KINNEY - woohoo! I came to these old grrrls a few years back and never looked back. Polished, innovative, original, with Corine's down tuned guitar as bass and sonic warble. S-K should be outselling Madonna - they are simply great!

I've tracked down all their albums and none of them has disappointed. No favourites - just put any S-K on the stereo, turn up the volume, and STFU.

RED AUNTS - anarchic Ramones fanciers from LA. All songs are short, rapid, breathless. Scratchy Epiphone guitars, lots of screaming and howling - great stuff!

THE GOSSIP - Portland's finest. Formed 1999 (so outside of the time frame) But I'm absolutely sold on these ladies. Jealous Girls, Standing in the Way of Control - Beth Ditto is astonishing. Signed to Sony - waiting with baited breath for their next release.

Worthy of mention but outside of the genre - Le Tigre, Peechees, Katastrophy Wife, Jack Off Jill, Lunachicks...

No comments: