Thursday, July 10, 2008

Strange

Such a strange week so far – like a punch in a velvet glove. I had a last cigarette Saturday morning and resolved to go the distance. The patches were okay for the first couple of days, but the effects have become less apparent. The nurse advised gum and a double patch next week if the cravings become too much. A 40 year habit is a hard one to kill.

Of course I feel like crap and it doesn't help folks telling me how well I'm doing. It feels like I'm barely holding my head above water and that I'll fold any minute. All I'll admit is that I've resisted thus far.

Then the IRD send a tax notification. I naturally expect a huge amount to pay, laugh hysterically and toss the letter in the bin. No!

It's a refund with a nice row of noughts following a 1. This is serious money to us – not the buck fifty I received last year. 'Did I want to check it and call the number to confirm?' Um, in the time it takes to dial, yessir! I've learned not to argue with the IRD.

No comments: