Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Today

Things are a little better today. We found we have names to drop and might get my boy into a Maori High School.

"Huh?" his jaw drops to the floor. He's not a Maori, no Iwi or Whakapapa, and he thinks they'll kick the shit out of him.

I tell him to wait and see, have a look and keep an open mind. There's definite advantages in becoming bilingual.

"Huh?" More expressions of terror. 'Bilingual', I tell him, is being fluent in both languages, Maori and English, not a deviant sexual practice.

We hear from the lawyer from the Children's Commissioner. She's adamant we can ping the school on several points of law in their dealing with my boy's expulsion. It's unlikely to do him much good, however, because, if he gets to go back, he can't put a foot wrong. There'll be strict conditions, and the school will likely ensure he breaks every one.

Meanwhile, I mow in the rain, wondering why me sweats keep drifting down my arse. Could I've lost so much weight? A cold breeze stings half acre of flesh below my waist.

Don

No comments: